Friday, December 19, 2014

We Clean Everyday

Every day someone tells me, "We clean everyday."

This is usually in the context of flies.  "I don't understand why we still have flies!  We clean every day!  We bleach the drains!  We mop everywhere!  We cover it with gas and set it on fire at the end of the dinner shift!  How can we still have flies?!"

Let me say that I feel your frustration.  And it doesn't feel good.  In fact, it feels kind of wet and slimy, and cold even.

In this one restaurant, fruit flies and houseflies were pretty bad, in the dozens, which, of course, feels like hundreds of thousands or even fly-illions.  The manager told me "We Clean Everyday!"  So I began to explore a little.

I looked under the grease trap below the sink.  "Hmm, that looks like something.  But it probably isn't because they clean every day.  Let me get out my flashlight and look more closely."
"Hmm, yes, yes, definitely.  I see something.  Let me get out for 3 foot long screw driver and see what I can pull out from under here..."
"I think I found something, but I'm not sure.  It looks like produce and rotting cardboard, but I could be wrong."
"So there's where that pink plastic lid to the pickles went!  And that loaf of bread that I wanted to use for that liverwurst sandwich."

Class, we see that once we have finished cleaning, the first thing we need to do is to start cleaning.

Follow this line of dialogue:

Anyone:  "Hey, what's clean?"

You:  "Nothing is clean."

Have a happy weekend from Ew York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment