Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Buggin' Out


Is this the first post where I've used the phrase "buggin' out"?  What took so long?  I wonder.

Anyway, here's proof our glue traps work.  This was actually in someone's apartment, in their dining room under the radiator.  Our technician Devin sent me the picture.

A couple things to point out here:

1)  The glue board is dated, as it should be.  The date lets us know that this activity is recent, so there has been a population explosion.  So we probably want to get some Insect Growth Regulator action going in this area.

2)  Though they are mainly adults, there are some younger stages present on the trap, so that is also an indication that breeding is going on.

3)  There are also some houseflies on board, that could be an indication of filth, decaying organic matter, or even rodents near by, especially since this was in an apartment that appears nice but obviously has some problems in the wall voids.

4)  Let's all just admit that we never ever know for sure what's going on in the walls.  How would the tenant respond if we told them "You probably have hundreds of giants bugs living all around you in your apartment?"  Probably with disbelief, I would imagine.  But when you show them a trap with 26 bugs on it, it kind of reinforces the facts.

5)  I like how the bug in the middle has its wings spread, like it was trying to fly off.

6)  It looks like there are also a couple earwigs on board, so that reinforces to me that there is moisture nearby.  If the moisture situation can't be solved, then we've just got to keep treating the wall voids and the radiators with a combination of products to keep the population down.

7)  Perhaps the most important lesson with this is that a glue trap is a valuable way to keep problems out of sight.  And if they are out of sight they are out of mind.  The person would have been freaking out with bugs crawling every where.  But if I have my traps in place, I minimize the psychological damage to my clients.  Since I am a Pest Management Professional, I am able to withstand greater amounts of psychological damage anyway.  It doesn't both me.  It's fine.  I'm okay.  I like it, actually.

Ew York City will be back tomorrow.  Don't bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment